Playground of the Gods - Mt. Pulag



MT. PULAG VIA AMBANGEG TRAIL

February 15-16, 2014

About the Playground of the Gods

Mount Pulag is the highest peak in Luzon standing above 2922 meters above sea level (MASL) and the third highest mountain in the Philippines. It is home to rare and endangered species of flora and fauna; also a home to some of North Luzon’s ethnic tribes like the Ibaloi, Kalanguya, Kankana-ey, and Ibanag which actually reside within the park. Most of them consider Mt. Pulag a sacred place not only because they consider it a resting place and playground of their gods but also a place where they bury their dead.

Mt. Pulag is located within the municipalities of Buguias, Kabayan and Bokod in Benguet, Tinoc in Ifugao and Kayapa in Nueva Vizcaya.

Ambangeg/Babadac Trail. Also known as the Executive trail or Celebrity trail to some – this trail is well established and considered as the main trail going to Mt. Pulag. The trek starts at the Babadac Ranger Station, which is already 2500+ MASL. It is mandatory to hire guides from the Kalanguya community and porters are available as well. One could also opt to hire a habal-habal going to the first main ascent of the trail. Still, others prefer to hike the entire trail.

The Experience

Trying out something new, something different.

This is an account of my experience during our climb in Mt. Pulag way back 2014.

* The following photographs are not mine since I don’t have any decent camera that time. All photo credits to Mr. Gilbert Pedroso.


Highlights:

This is my very first climb. And I'm really excited! This is also my first time to:
* see Rice Terraces. I know these terraces look good in photographs but they are way more fascinating up close and personal.
* ride on a topload of a jeepney. As it is my first time hiking, I want to try anything as much as possible like it’ll be my first and last hike.
* witness Sea of Clouds. They call it as such because it literally looks like sea of clouds. It was so magnificent like a huge wave was crashing down the shore (which is the summit).
* witness a twilight. I’m not a fan of Twilight saga movie, but this kind of twilight where facing west you can see the moon and facing east you can see the sun rising – definitely breathtaking.
* cross a hanging bridge. This hanging bridge is located at the back of Jang-Jang Canteen. A popular carinderia in Benguet.
* explore Baguio and to eat the famous Strawberry Taho.
* sleep in a tent. It’s uncomfortable at first but since I’m the kind of person who loves to sleep, I didn’t have much problem in taking a good night sleep.We saw ice crystal that morning before heading to the summit. Cool!

Photos:


Sea of clouds at Mt. Pulag’s summit. Sir Gilbert named that photo as "Halik", probably because the crashing waves of cloud looks like it was about to kiss the summit.



I never thought a time like this would happen to me. My old self wouldn’t even think that I would dare climb mountains. She must be so proud! Achievement Unlocked!



Some trails lead to the same, beautiful summit and someday I’ll be taking this route.



I have this raging ball of fire in my hand, and I’m literally up above the clouds. So tell me something about being at the rooftop of Luzon.



What I’ve conquered is not the mountain, but myself. Success kid!

Take-aways

* It is really important to prepare oneself for this climb. Actually, preparation is necessary for every climb – be it a minor or a major one.

** Know your water consumption level. I brought 4L of water with me and honestly it’s more of a burden than of help to me.

*** Do no bring unnecessary things even if it looks like one. Learn to trim down luxuries. I think making a list of stuff to bring will definitely help.

**** Do not give up. Take it slowly if you must, but never ever give up. We started our hike all the way from the Ranger Station to Camp 2 at day 1, and from Camp 2 to the summit at day 2. It was quite a feat for a novice like me. Moreover, I’m also stubborn in riding the habal-habal and hiring a porter. I’m like, “I don’t care about my back problems. I chose to hike this mountain and I’d rather experience everything good and bad than asking myself a lot of what ifs“.

As I’m writing this 2 years after our hike, I can’t help but smile. I can still remember a lot about this hike. I can still feel the emotions I’ve had reaching the summit. It was the beginning of something new, and a part of me now.

Share:

0 comments